Grace Episcopal Church was built in 1877 in the Carpenter Gothic style of architecture which was very popular immediately following the Civil War.
- Plans for the church were drawn by well known Nashville architect, P. J. Williamson and the construction cost of $1,800.00 was funded by contributions from members and friends in the Spring Hill community.
Just a few other points of interest:
- All of the pews are original to the church and have hand forged, square nails in their construction.
- The floors are also original.
- Two side windows are original but are no longer opened to provide cross ventilation as heat and air conditioning were added in the 1960’s.
- The ceiling resembles the bottom of a boat or ship. In the early days of Christianity the Christians had to hide to hold a church service, in actual fear of death. They often hid inside an over-turned fishing boat on the shore line. Later, as real church buildings were built, the ceilings continued to resemble the bottom of the ship. This took on a deeper meaning by stating that the church of Christ was a place to ride out the storms of life and a place of safety for the true believers.
- The church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
- The Parish Hall was constructed and dedicated in 2004
- The church was consecrated on May 16, 1878 by The Right Reverend Charles T. Quintard who was the 2nd Bishop of the Diocese of Tennessee. The church has been in continuous service to the Spring Hill community since that time.
- The original church building consists of a small narthex (or entry); a nave (or sanctuary) which seats approximately 100 worshipers; a chancel and altar from which the priest conducts services; a small sacristy (or room in which vestments and Eucharist supplies are kept); and a single belfry.
- A beautifully toned bell hangs high in the belfry and has the marking “England 1839.”
- No one knows the history of the bell or how it came to grace our belfry. The bell is sounded each Sunday morning calling worshipers and announcing to those of us in the nave that it is time to prepare our hearts and minds for the service to come.
- The church was originally lighted by brass angle lamps. Electricity was added in 1926.
- You will notice that each of the windows in the church is made of stained glass. Some of the windows are original to the building and several have been added through the years as memorials.